POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Colour clipping. : Re: Colour clipping. Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:13:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Colour clipping.
From: Trevor Quayle
Date: 30 Nov 2001 10:00:49
Message: <3c079f21@news.povray.org>
> No, POV-Ray writes the image pixel by pixel and line by line to file so no
> data is lost in a ten day render when your computer crashes in the mean
time
> and for memory conservation problems.  In order to do what you suggest,
> POV-Ray would need to store the whole image in memory in the unclipped
form.
> That requires at least 12 bytes per pixel (single precision floating-point
> rgb values), so rendering at i.e. 1280*1024 would require 15 MB alone!

1) This is not what I meant as Rune has pointed out.  The pixel obviously
gets clipped when POV writes it. My intention was why not clip it
proportional to itself rather than absolutely.

> This group is for discussing beta bug reports because the time is past for
> feature requests and you are asked to keep the off topic chatter down to
an
> absolute minimum.  Not getting a response in another group is no good
> justification for posting here.  Please read about the purpose of this
group
> in the welcome message (the first message in this group, dated Sept 4th)
or
> see the web archive of this group:

2) It is only a feature request and if it is the intended function. I can't
find anywhere in the docs where it is stated that this is the case nor can I
find a disclaimer stating that using values >1 could lead to unexpected
results.  If not a bug-report, than at least it should be clarified in the
docs.

3) I wouldn't have posted here if I didn't think it was justified, I have
seen a lot of other off-topic chatter here that didn't garner the same
response.  I have been testing 3.5 beta since it came out and have tried to
adhere to the posting guidelines for this group. My original query in the
other groups was to find out if it was intended or not so I wouldn't be
posting here without reason.

-tgq